Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby Saturday May 18th, 2013
Going out to try your luck at Kokanee fishing on Lake Stevens this weekend? Halibut fishing is in full swing on Puget Sound, but on the more serene waters of Lake Stevens, the miniature salmon known commonly as Kokanee are king this weekend.
“Kokanee fishing has been pretty good, and most of the regulars are getting their limits,” said Mike Chamberlain, owner of Ted’s Sports Center in Lynnwood. “Most of the kokanee are 11 to 13 inches with an odd fish up to 16 1/2 inches.”
The fish have been caught from the surface down to 30 feet, and right now anglers have fared better using blades with white corn or maggots. Usually the preferred choice are small sized pink hootchies laced with anise scent.
Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby Ticket Locations
Tickets for the 2012 Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby are available at the following locations:
- Greg’s Custom Rods
- 3 Rivers Marine
- John’s Sporting Goods
- Ted’s Sports Center
- Holiday Sports
- Triangle Bait and Tackle
Derby tickets are $20.00 for Adults (15 & Over) and free for kids 14 & Under. Tickets will be on sale until closing time on May 17th, so don’t put off getting yours. Get them on your way home tonight if you haven’t already!
Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby Prizes
- Largest Kokanee 1st Place – $1,000.00 Sponsored by Dick Nite Spoons.
- 2nd Place – $ 500.00 Sponsored by Ted’s Sports Center
- 3rd Place – $ 250.00 Sponsored by John’s Sporting Goods
- 4th Place – $ 100.00 Sponsored by Triangle Beverage.
- Largest Trout – $500.00 Sponsered by Trout Lodge.
- Biggest Kokanee Limit – (Up To 10 Kokanee) – $500.00 Sponsored by 3 Rivers Marine & Tackle.
- Largest Kokanee caught by a GAMEFISHIN.COM member – $100.00.
- Largest Kokanee caught by an Active Duty Military – $100.00, sponsored by GAMEFISHIN.COM
Kid’s Derby Prizes all sponsored by Greg’s Custom Rods
- *1st Place – $100.00 for Largest Kokanee
- 2nd Place – $75.00 for any fish
- 3rd Place – $50.00 for any fish
Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby Rules
4th ANNUAL LAKE STEVENS KOKANEE DERBY
SATURDAY MAY 18, 2013
LAKE STEVENS LIONS CLUB & SNOHOMISH SPORTSMEN’S CLUB
- 1. Tickets sales will close on Fri. May 17th, 2013 at close of business at listed outlets.
- 2. Only fish caught in Lake Stevens on the day of Derby will be eligible for weigh in.
- 3. Angler must be present to claim prizes.
- 4. Weigh -In will be from 10am to 2pm @ the weigh-in station at North Cove Park, adjacent to the downtown boat launch. Awards @ 3pm.
- 5. All WDFW rules apply. All decisions of the derby officials are final. In the case of a tie, it will be determined by earliest weigh in.
- 6. Any attempt to artificially enhance the weight of any fish will result in immediate disqualification.
- 7. Winning Derby fish will be determined by weight to the hundredth of a pound.
- 8. The Lake Stevens Lions Club, The Snohomish Sportsmen’s Club, The NSIA North, Volunteers, and Sponsors accept no responsibilities for loss, or harm to any boat, vehicle, equipment, contestant, passenger or observer during this event. The Derby ticket purchaser agrees to hold harmless all derby Presenters, Volunteers, Sponsors and or Agents from any or all liability in connection with this derby.
- 9. The ticket purchaser agrees that any appropriate prize tax shall be the sole responsibility of the prize winner, and that the aforementioned derby organization shall have no liability for any such tax or fees. The prize winner shall also furnish their tax identification number if so requested before the awarding of prizes.
- 10.For more information please call Greg’s Custom Rods @ 425-3351391